Does your laptop or PC not have a Bluetooth adapter? Just a while ago, this may have been a problem, but not these days! There’s no reason to spend extra on a machine that has a built-in Bluetooth connection. Instead, most PC and laptop users alike choose to get themselves the best Bluetooth adapter on the market.
A Bluetooth connection comes in handy for so many reasons. Many of us may remember using it back in the 00s on our old mobile phones, but since then, the technology has evolved tremendously. It still remains one of the best ways to transfer files, but it’s also used in headsets, storage devices, or smartphones.
Don’t fall behind the curve and miss out on such a helpful piece of tech just because your desktop doesn’t have it. Browse through our comprehensive buyer’s guide for the best Bluetooth adapter so that you can make an informed decision. You’re just a few steps away from the newest Bluetooth technology!
What is a Bluetooth Adapter?
Before we get into it, let’s establish some basic facts about Bluetooth adapters. These pieces of tech resemble devices like USB pen drives. Sometimes referred to as “USB dongle”, the term Bluetooth adapter is a blanket term that refers to any device designed to connect to a PC, laptop, TV, or mobile devices such as smartphone or tablet & provide Bluetooth connectivity.
They usually operate on a plug-and-play basis and they have little more than an antenna that transmits and receives data over the latest Bluetooth connection. There are also, however, larger devices that will not plug directly into your computer.
Such wireless Bluetooth adapters will sit on the desk and provide multiple connections to devices that are not wireless. They may also boost the range of an already established connection, allowing you to connect and transfer data at an even faster pace.
Are Bluetooth Adapters Good?
This is the first question most users will ask themselves when they consider shopping for a pluggable USB Bluetooth adapter. Are they even any good? Will they fulfill the same role as a built-in Bluetooth device would? Do they have the same range and specs? Are they compatible with your device?
If this is you — we’re not surprised. The truth is, most of us barely know that these adapters even exist. Let’s be real, a Bluetooth adapter is hardly something you ever spare a thought to unless you specifically need to get one.
Perhaps you’re on the market for a new laptop or a PC and you found that there’s no Bluetooth connectivity. This means you need a USB Bluetooth adapter for PC, likely compatible with Windows 10. Alternatively, you just bought yourself a shiny new wireless headset, but it connects through Bluetooth and you can’t use it. You may feel like you’re in a pickle, but you’re in luck — Bluetooth adapters ARE actually good!
There’s no need to overpay for a device that will have built-in Bluetooth. The best Bluetooth adapters fulfill the exact same role, they’re fairly inexpensive, and best of all, they’re portable. You can move them from desktop to laptop or TV and use them all around. As such, just one little device may fulfill several roles for you for the price of one.
The only problem with finding the best Bluetooth adapter is that you have to pick one. The market is flooded, and we’re not exaggerating. To make things easier and to ensure you get what you’re after, make sure to review our tips below before you dive into the selection.
Things to Consider When Buying a Bluetooth Adapter
If you’ve never owned one of these Bluetooth technology devices before, we can bet you might feel confused about all the different specs. Let us give you a quick rundown of the most important features in a Bluetooth adapter for PC or other devices.
- Intended use: A Bluetooth adapter may not be suited for each and every device. Some adapters are best for low bandwidth devices, for example, computer mice or keyboards. On the other hand, Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth speakers require higher bandwidth and they will not produce high-quality sound when connected via a low bandwidth dongle. Some Bluetooth receivers will also be intended for cars and those aren’t compatible with PCs. On the other hand, if you intend to use a Bluetooth USB adapter on a PC, make sure it’s a plugable USB Bluetooth adapter compatible with Windows.
- Bluetooth version: This one is confusing but important. Most devices support Bluetooth 4 0, but older peripherals work fine on Bluetooth 3.0. Keep in mind that the lower the version, the lower the bandwidth, and often battery life. The newest devices support Bluetooth 5.0, which is the latest and best quality technology.
- Range: Every Bluetooth adapter has its own effective range. Most of them oscillate around the 30-foot range, but some will reach as far as 60 feet. You need to double-check this before you make your purchase, depending on your intended use. A long-range is never bad to have — some headphones, speakers, and other peripherals may be used on the move.
- Extra features: The better the adapter, the more extra features it will provide. On the other hand, you won’t always need them. Automatic pairing mode is very useful if you tend to use your device often — it saves you the time you’d otherwise spend pairing the Bluetooth dongle to your device. NFC compatibility is great if you intend to connect your desktop or laptop to a smartphone easily.
- Compatibility: If you intend to use your Bluetooth adapter with a desktop PC or a laptop, check to make sure that it will work on your operating system. Most adapters support Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. The majority of them will offer backward compatibility with even older Bluetooth compatible operating systems. They should also work with a Linux or a Mac. However, it’s best to be safe than sorry & check this beforehand. Some people also look for a Bluetooth adapter for their Raspberry Pi, but the truth is, not all Bluetooth adapters are intended for use with Raspberry Pi. That is another thing you should check before the time comes for you to take your pick.
Which Bluetooth Adapter Is the Best?
Now that you are aware of all the ins and outs of the best Bluetooth adapters, it’s time to learn our recommendations. We’ve reviewed many of the best Bluetooth devices and prepared this selection. Keep reading to pick your own!
TaoTronics Adapter Bluetooth 5 0 Transmitter and Receiver
No products found in your local Amazon.
This device is undoubtedly the one of the best Bluetooth adapters on the market if you want versatility and adequately high bandwidth. The use of Bluetooth 5 0 guarantees the best possible performance in a Bluetooth dongle.
The low latency, or low delay if you prefer, provided by TaoTronics is one of its greatest strengths. This allows it to assist your audio device in producing high fidelity, top-quality stereo sound. You also won’t have to deal with annoying lag when streaming videos or movies.
Thanks to the built-in transmitter mode, you can turn pretty much any device into a wireless Bluetooth 5.0 device. Even a non-Bluetooth TV will be compatible with this USB Bluetooth adapter. You can also use it on a PC, CD player, MP3 / MP4 player, iPod, and even a Nintendo Switch!
TP-Link USB Bluetooth Adapter for PC
- NOTE: The item is compatible with windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/XP. However, on the box there is limited space so the manufacturer do not list all of the versions and just list the most recent versions of...
- Bluetooth 4.0 – applies the latest Bluetooth 4.0 and it is backward compatible with Bluetooth V3.0/2.1/2.0/1.1. Ub400 turns non-Bluetooth PC or laptop into Bluetooth-capable ( PS4 & XBox Controllers...
This super affordable option is ideal for everyone who doesn’t require the latest technologies. TP-Link supports Bluetooth 4 0, which makes it perfectly adequate for most things, and it’s very cost-effective.
This adapter is compatible with many versions of Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP. It might also have backward compatibility with older versions of Windows.
It has a surprisingly long range for such a small dongle and it will serve you for up to 65 ft. It’s a plug and play device for most versions of Windows. However, keep in mind it’s not compatible with Mac, Linux, or TV devices.
Mpow BH129 Bluetooth Receiver for Car
No products found in your local Amazon.
Many PC Bluetooth devices are not compatible with cars, and that is a real shame. After all, who doesn’t like to listen to some music in the car, or perhaps connect your phone to the car? This affordable Bluetooth receiver allows you to do just that.
It’s compatible with the latest Bluetooth 5 0 technology, which means you can use it with a stereo system and receive the highest quality of audio. It’s also equipped with a CSR chip that provides CD-like music quality. The transmission is quick, lag-free, and remarkably stable.
One of the best features of this Bluetooth receiver is undoubtedly the built-in microphone. This will allow you to make touch-free calls while keeping your full focus on the road.
TaoTronics Bluetooth Receiver/Car Kit
No products found in your local Amazon.
This TaoTronics device was made to suit all kinds of cars. It provides portable wireless audio & an AUX adapter for a 3.5mm audio jack. Equipped with top-notch Bluetooth 5.0 technology, this little tool will fulfill all of your in-car Bluetooth needs.
A unique feature for a car Bluetooth tool is the dual-link here. You can connect this device to two Bluetooth-based devices at once, so you can listen to music, use your GPS, or make phone calls all at the same time.
The battery life in this receiver is quite impressive. You can expect approximately 10 hours of battery life when active (talking, playing music) and a whopping 200 hours of standby in the background.
- Listen music wireless: Connect with computer speakers, home stereo systems or other speaker systems via the 3.5 mm or RCA cable, then pair with the Bluetooth audio devices such as smartphones or...
- Easy setup and automatic reconnect: Pair your device to the adapter once with a single button press. It can reconnect automatically with the previously paired device.
If you’re willing to shell out a bit more cash on a sound system, this is likely the best choice for you. This Bluetooth audio adapter allows you to stream and control your music at a range of up to 50 ft (15 meters).
As this is a system dedicated to music and streaming, it provides top-quality sound and delivers the full range of audio that you deserve to hear. It works with the majority of speakers. You simply need to plug it into an A/V receiver using a standard RCA or a 3.5mm jack.
Pairing your smartphone or tablet is very easy and can be done with the press of a button. This adapter offers multipoint Bluetooth connectivity, which means that you can pair more than one peripheral or smart device at the same time.
Harman Kardon BTA-10 External Bluetooth Adapter
- Enjoy wireless audio streaming from mobile devices via Bluetooth (Bluetooth profile: Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR with A2DP)
- HARMAN TrueStream connectivity ensures the highest-quality connection no matter the application or source device
If money is of no concern, you might as well pick up the best Bluetooth adapter the market has to offer. This beautiful adapter delivers top-notch quality and covers just about all the bases one could ask for.
It’s compact-sized, so you can easily take it with you if you’re a frequent traveler or you need it for a laptop. It offers wireless audio streaming from all kinds of mobile devices with the use of Bluetooth technology.
The blue LED light on top of the device gives you visual hints about the quality of your connection. Most of the time, you can expect the quality to be impeccable. Harman Kardon BTA-10 can be connected via USB and is a plug and play option that is easy to install and manage. As far as plugable USB Bluetooth adapters go, this is one of the best ones.
Cricut Wireless Bluetooth Adapter for Cricut Explore
- The Bluetooth adapter lets you design on your computer or iPad and create your projects wirelessly with the Cricut Explore machine
- Simply plug the adapter in to the utility port on your Cricut Explore, pair your device, and start cutting
This Bluetooth Adapter is probably not the right pick if you just want a general run-of-the-mill device, but it’s perfect if you own a Cricut Explore or a Cricut Explore One. You can use it to design on your computer or iPad and it helps you wirelessly create projects via the Cricut Explore machine.
All you have to do is plug the adapter into your Cricut Explore device. The pairing process is intuitive and quick. After it’s done, you’re ready to go!
It’s compatible with Macs (provided your Mac is Bluetooth-enabled), PCs, and tablets. You can use it on any device with Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR and iPad 2 or newer. Lastly, you can use it with Cricut’s new Make It Now project app, making it even more versatile.
Bluetooth Adapter for PC – Bluetooth Dongle 5 0
- Easy To Use - Instant Bluetooth Adapter For PC/Laptop - Enjoy wireless data connectivity between your computer or laptop and other devices like a keyboard, mouse, cell phones, speakers, headphones,...
- Upgrade Your Day- A small change can make a huge difference! EVEO Bluetooth adapter will make your virtual experience much more enjoyable. Whether you are in the office or at home, the USB dongle...
If Bluetooth version 5.0 is important to you and you don’t want to settle for Bluetooth 4 0 or Bluetooth 3 0, this dongle device is a fairly cheap way to get what you need. Moreover, it’s super-tiny and portable, but it really packs a punch! It’s a great adapter for Windows 10 and a long-range Bluetooth USB adapter that comes at a decent price.
The connection provided by this adapter is powerful and stable, known for its low latency and high reliability. The transfer rate on this mini-device is up to 3 Mbps, which is a lot for a Bluetooth adapter. The Bluetooth audio it provides ensures that you won’t need any other wireless Bluetooth solutions for your headphones or speakers.
This EVEO product has a frequency band of 2.402Ghz-2.480Ghz. This translates into a range of up to 10 meters. While there are some devices with a larger range, this is more than enough for any headphone or speaker user.
Nulaxy Wireless In-Car Adapter Bluetooth FM Transmitter
- 1.44 Inch LCD Display: Nulaxy KM18 Bluetooth FM transmitter has a 1.44 inch screen for better displaying information like phone calls, FM channels, music, car battery voltage, etc. The ideal screen...
- Flexible Gooseneck&Bluetooth V5.0: The rotatable Gooseneck of the wireless radio adapter can provide you with an adjustable viewing angle and optimal viewing comfort of LCD display screen. With the...
This futuristic-looking Nulaxy product will deck out your car with the latest Bluetooth technology. It’s one of the best in-car transmitters currently on the market and it has a large following of people who tried & enjoyed it to the fullest.
High levels of compatibility come to mind when you think of the benefits of this transmitter. You can use this product to play all of your favorite songs on your car’s stereo system. It can be used with Bluetooth, TF Card, and an AUX cable.
You can use this to answer phone calls, establish a Bluetooth connection, control the device through the LCD 1.44″ display, and even monitor the quality of your car’s battery through the voltmeter. We’re honestly surprised it’s priced so low because it provides so much.
ZIIDOO Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver
- Low Delay:low latency for high-fidelity stereo sound, content transmission without delays in transmitter mode. A low latency Bluetooth receiver is required
- Multifunction:The portable adapter that can be used as a transmitter or receiver at the same time,and with hands-free function
If you want something that covers all of your Bluetooth needs, this Bluetooth 5.0 device might be your best pick. It certainly works with a wide range of devices, converting your home into a Bluetooth base!
This product sports a remarkably low delay and thus delivers top-notch audio to all of your devices, and by all, we truly mean all. You can use this in transmitter mode to convert your TV, PC, iPod, CD player, MP3/MP4 player, or smart device into a Bluetooth transmitter.
Another benefit comes in the form of multifunctionality. It’s not just a transmitter — you can also use ZIIDOO as a Bluetooth receiver. The receiver mode works perfectly well for streaming music at home or even in the car.
Just knowing which device is objectively the best Bluetooth adapter on the market may not suffice. If you still have questions, we are here to answer them! Below are some of the ones we most commonly receive.
What is the best Bluetooth adapter for home stereo?
As you know, the best Bluetooth adapter for home stereo has got to be one that can support high bandwidth. This is because low bandwidth adapters will not produce top-notch sound quality, which is exactly what you want in a home stereo system.
Our favorite pick is the TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver. This Bluetooth adapter strikes a fantastic balance between being affordable and high-quality.
Can I add Bluetooth to my TV?
If you want to use a Bluetooth adapter to handle wireless audio from your TV to a home stereo system, a pair of headphones, or a set of speakers, you can do that quite easily. The setup should be simple and quick.
A word of warning before we guide you through this process: you need a Bluetooth transmitter that works with a TV. We recommended some above, but a good example is the ZIIDOO Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter and Receiver. It should work with most televisions and it produces great quality sound.
- Before you begin, check to see if your Bluetooth receiver requires an external power source. If it does, connect it. If not, you’ll have to plug it into one of your TV’s audio outputs.
- Once that’s done, you need to pair the Bluetooth receiver to your headphones or speakers. Put the audio device close to the Bluetooth transmitter.
- Activate the pairing mode for both the television and the headphones or speakers. This will vary from device to device, but it should be a very straightforward process.
- Once the devices are paired, you can begin using your Bluetooth receiver and adapter to connect your TV to your headphones!
How do I know if my TV has Bluetooth?
This is a difficult question, as the answer varies from TV to TV. A sure-fire way to find out is to check the instruction manual for the television, but we know that not every person keeps their manuals once the device is set up. An alternative is to poke through the settings on your TV.
Most TVs will have a Sound Output section. In there, you should be able to find a Bluetooth Speaker option. That guarantees Bluetooth compatibility.
Alternatively, look up the name and model of your TV and simply search the internet. Most manufacturers provide such information on the device’s website.
A Bluetooth adapter can truly improve your life. Instead of wrestling with your electronics, you’re able to connect and pair them easily without a hassle. This allows you to make the most of every piece of tech that you own without needing to waste money on replacements.
Make sure to review all the needs and wants before you make your purchase, but once you do, there’s nothing to wait for. We know for a fact you’ll end up using your adapter a whole lot — we speak from experience!