After a long wait, Google has finally introduced the dark mode feature to its Chrome web browser! There are many reasons why Chrome’s dark mode is good news for regular Chrome browsers! A dark theme reduces the light intensity of your screen, which means less exposure to blue light, which may affect your sleep patterns. Inadequate sleep not only leaves you feeling fatigued and cranky, it’s also associated with obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. On top of that, the dark mode makes the browser look stylish and cool, making your browsing experience much better.
Activating dark mode is not as easy as you expect. Unlike other common browsers such as Firefox, Chrome does not have a dedicated dark mode toggle you can simply switch. This is why we have put together this guide, which will show you various steps on how to enable dark mode for Chrome on Windows 10.
How to Enable Dark Mode for Chrome on Windows 10
1. Head for the Settings menu, Click ‘Personalisation’ > Select ‘Color’. Then scroll down to the switch marked ‘Choose your default app mode’.
2. Toggle this to ‘Dark’ and all windows apps with a native dark mode, including Chrome, will change color. You don’t need to restart your browser while using this method.
Also, you can also change the color of Chrome’s title bar by toggling the “Title bars and window borders” option under the “Colors” menu.
How to Force-Enable Dark Mode
Chrome also has an internal option that will enable dark mode forcibly even if Windows 10’s default app mode is set to “light.”
To Activate this option
- Find the shortcut you normally use to launch Chrome.
- Right click the Google Chrome icon and select Properties
- Add a space followed by –force-dark-mode to the end of the Target box. For example, on our system, the Target box looks like this:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” –force-dark-mode
It may be different on your system if Chrome is installed to a different location.
- Click “OK” to save your changes.
- Click “OK” and use the shortcut to launch Chrome.
Using a Theme
You can also enable night mode on Google Chrome by downloading a theme from the Chrome Web store. For example “Just Black” theme.
“Just Black” automatically applies a dark mode to every web page you visit. You can also toggle the dark mode on/off depending on your preference. Just click on a switch located on the toolbar.
This theme is darker than Chrome’s built-in dark mode theme on Windows. If you are looking for a darker browser, we highly recommend it. Chrome Web Store also has other themes you can install.